September 20, 2009

Literacy Experience in the Classroom

I am in a fourth grade class at Forest View Elementary School in Durham. We have been using Reading Street by Scott Foresman which is a scripted literacy program. I believe this program is based on the industrial model of learning mentioned in Chapter 1. Luckily I have had the chance to attend PLC meetings every Wednesday and have been able to look at Reading Street and listen to the discussions that my teachers have had about reading street during their meetings. For the most part it seems like many teachers disagree with it. They believe that it leaves no room to be flexible. There is a set schedule with set lesson plans and set book selection choices. So far reading street has been okay, but my CT and the other teachers on my team are still adjusting to it. Part of the reason Forest View has Scott Foresman is due to NCLB.
My class has been doing really well with the reading aspect of literacy and the students are trying to get as much writing in as possible. Most of the writing occurs through readers response's. From the few samples of writing that I have seen, I can tell that many of my students are below grade level. One of the most important things that I am going to need to do to be able to help my students is to figure out how to effectively use Scott Foresman and to know where I can be flexible with the program.

2 comments:

  1. Liz I think it's really cool that you have the chance to see how teachers use and adjust a new program in a school before you actually have to do it yourself. It's great that you get to go to PLC's and see all the creative ideas that your teacher's come up with for the Scott Foresman program. I think that is going to be a great experience that you can use as a teacher if you ever have to go through a major change in a literacy program in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just from the listening to the several discussions we have had in our classes and reading your reflection about the new literacy program in Durham, I am very curious to see and hear how this new system pans out. I definitely think is going to be a great learning experience for you and others in Durham County, ultimately giving you a chance to determine and reflect on what literacy learning in the classroom should and shouldn't look like. I look forward to hearing more about your experiences with this new program and its implications for learning.

    ReplyDelete