September 12, 2009

Literacy Autobiography.

My love of literature all started in kindergarten.

My Mother gave me Hooked on Phonics.


Every night I read, every night I practiced, listening to the cassette tapes.


She never read to me at night, but I understand now what I did not know then


She was working two jobs.


First grade came and I was one of the best readers in the class.


One of the kids that always volunteered to read, never stumbled.


Fourth grade and fifth grade I had the book fair.


Oh how I loved the book fair.


Every year I begged my mother for more money and more money.


My book collection grew, full of scholastic books.


Author's that spoke to me as a child:

Judy Blume, Beverly Clearly,
Frances Hodgson Burnett.

Loved the reading aspect, but not so much the writing aspect.


I knew how to write, and would write what I was told

But it was a chore.


Short stories, fictional stories, not my forte.



Middle school came.


Still reading, still expanding.


The list of favorite author's has grown and grown.


Bookcases overflowing with picture books, and novels.


Award winners, Newberry and Caldecott.


My favorite class was reading and writing.


Taught by my favorite teacher.


One word to describe her, inspirational.


She challenged me in many ways.


Still loving reading and slowly finding a love for writing.



High school is recent and indescribable.


Ninth grade and tenth grade were not the best.


Eleventh grade I found the language arts teacher that changed my life.

She was the teacher who inspired me to be a teacher.

Things Fall Apart, The House on Mango Street, Invisible Man,
The Great Gatsby, Their Eyes Were Watching God, Anne Frank,
The Things They Carried.


Books that I loved, analyzed and enjoyed.


Books that helped me grow both as a reader and a writer.


Writing was no longer a chore.

Journals were my favorite, I could write about anything I wanted.



Today I am a Senior Elementary Education Major.

Learning how to teach reading and writing so that I can be like the teacher that inspired me.

It will be a challenge, but important to give my students the knowledge and skills needed to read and write.

I'm scared, nervous, excited... all I want is to be a good teacher.




No comments:

Post a Comment