September 30, 2009

Educating Peter

Watching the film about Peter was a very difficult video to watch and I must say that I have mixed feelings about what I saw. I think that is it absolutely amazing how the teacher was able to include Peter and get him involved in classroom activities. When an exceptional child is included in a general education classroom, it is not only an adjustment for the child, but also a adjustment for the teacher and other students in the classroom. It was amazing seeing the students adjusting to Peter and helping them in any way they new how. From Peter, the other students were able to grow and learn from their experiences with him.

At the same time, I feel like it might not have been the best situation for the Peter nor the students. It was really hard watching the video when Peter was physically attacking the other students in the class. I just kept thinking to myself, what if I was the teacher in that situation. I can't begin to think about how I would handle that particular situation. I understand the need to include EC students in the classroom, but I don't know if I believe that Peter's situation was the best situation.

2 comments:

  1. I also had mixed feelings about the video. Like you said, I think it is very inspirational how the teacher and the students adapted to having Peter in the classroom. It was so cool to see how much the students grew and learned how to help Peter. I also agree that while there were some good things that came out of this, it might not be the best situation for Peter or the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good post! I agree with your mixed feelings. I actually blogged about the same topics. As a future teacher I had a really hard time watching the physical abuse some of Peter's classmates received. These instances made me rethink my thoughts on inclusion. However, I do believe the rewards of finding the ways to make it work for both the teacher and students still override in which way my decisions of the topic go. It definitely is a debateble topic though and I'm glad we are learning more about it.

    ReplyDelete