March 10, 2010

March Reading

For this reading, I definitely found the section on disruptive behavior the most helpful. In my classroom I have a couple of students who are constantly disrupting the class. One student in particular, who I consider the "class bully" is constantly making noises. It is very annoying to myself and the students who consistently ask him to stop making those noises. From what I've noticed the student is most likely doing this for attention, but I am still not sure about the root of the cause. Right now the student and I are really focusing on him using his self control. When he hears "I need you to use your self control," he becomes aware of his behavior and usually makes a change. Now that I have a plan for his issues with making noises, I need to tackle the bullying that he has been doing to other students.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds tough... It seems like you are already making a positive difference in the classroom about the disruptive noises. Becoming self aware is something that students continually learn throughout school as they mature. Bullying, on the other hand, is so difficult because the root of the problem may be unclear. What grade are you teaching in? Depending on the grade and the student, maybe create a social story about being a kind classmate or something for him. I am sure you are doing great and making a difference, keep it up Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sterling-- this seems like a consistently annoying problem. I have a similar issue in my class of fifth graders, especially with this one student who will not keep her hands off of other students and their belongings. I know she really wants attention, but there are other ways to attain that. I feel like I have tried so many things with her, but now we are doing a behavior journal in which after each subject, the teacher signs her sheet if she has not had more than 2 warnings and if she meets her goal (of like 25 signatures out of 30) for the week, then she receives some sort of treat. It's a way for her to have a goal. This is the first week we are doing this so I will have to see how it goes! I surely hope it is effective. For your student, roleplay might be a good way to talk about bullying? Also I saw a great gossiping lesson in which the counselor squirted out toothpaste and demonstrated how once it comes out (like our words) it will not go back inside the container. That gives the students a visual. Good luck, Liz!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz! I am very proud of you! I am very interested to hear about how this is going in your classroom, especially since you have a new student that requires extra help throughout the day. This seems to be a constant problem in my classroom as well, as you well know. Making them aware of their behavior so that they can help monitor it themselves is very important. Sometimes the root of the problem can help you figure out some answers. There's usually a reason for their behavior.

    ReplyDelete