November 15, 2009

Flint Chapter 11

I really enjoyed this chapter because it focused on using inquiry based learning and nonfiction texts in the classroom. In all of our classes we have been learning how to incorporate inquiry based learning into our classroom because that is one of the best ways that students will and can learn. I agree with this. When students are given a choice and are able to feel a sense of ownership in their work they are going to learn so much more than just telling the students what they must do.

I also found interesting how the book talked about sign systems. For my read and share article I read about how to incorporate semantic sign systems into the language arts curriculum. This included the use of dance, drama, art and music. This is a great way for students to gain new perspectives, but it is disheartening because I am not seeing much of this in my classroom. I am seeing the basic draw a picture type of situations. I think that when teachers really commit to using sign systems it can greatly benefit students.

3 comments:

  1. I found the section on sign systems particularly interesting as well. I have always thought of subjects like art and music and dance as tools for self-expression (which, I think, is very important). However, I'd never considered using such mediums as supplementary materials to inquiry-based learning. I really like this approach and think that it is something that I would definitely want to incorporate into my classroom.

    Unfortunately, I don't see this effective use of the arts, etc. in my classroom either. With such great emphasis on student achievement on standardized tests, I think that spending time engaging with the arts is not seen as worthwhile instructional time. After reading this section of the Flint text, this stance seems completely contradictory. It seems that these sign systems provide students the opportunity to think critically -- analyzing the work of artists or lyricists helps students see the societal connection that exists between humanity and the topic being studied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, girl :)

    Don't let that discourage you Lizzy Boo Boo! We learn about a lot of great strategies that we may not be able to incorporate in our classrooms all the time. Unfortunately, we don't get to dictate the way we spend our time in our classroom every day. If we could I'm sure we would all love to play games and use our technology and incorporate nonfiction and anything and everything between, but realistically we won't be able to do everything. You have good ideas, just do the best you can when it's your classroom.

    I'm glad you were able to connect your read and share article to the reading! That's quite impressive missy.

    And, based on you and I, I think it's safe to say the inquiry-based learning is definitely effective. Especially when it gets the students to talk amongst themselves and draw meaningful conclusions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Liz on your comment about many teachers not using authentic arts in the classroom. The arts are most likely the only subjects that promote creativity and inventiveness in children and adults. Not to say that the core subjects are not inventive or creative but many of them are constrained by the curriculum that we have to teach to the students in a specific grade. I know we all had that useless arts class last semester, however, I do believe that arts in the classroom can really benefit students and even improve student confidence.

    ReplyDelete