October 12, 2009

UDL

Universal Design for Learning is a great practice that makes learning attainable for all students. When I think about UDL I think about other things we have been talking about in our classes such as inclusion, modifications, differentiation etc. I consider UDL to be relatively new and in the last 5 years it has become a more accepted practice among teachers. The use of technology to teach all students is an important aspect because it is important that every student is reached. When I was in elementary school I don't remember the use of much technology, but now we are in the age of technology and teachers should take advantage of its different uses.

As for my classroom, I am not seeing as many UDL practices in my classroom as I would like to. Right now I am seeing the use of technology to help my English Language Learners. In my classroom I have a Norwegian and Korean student in my class who both moved to the United States at the beginning of the semester. Everyday during the literacy block in class these two students are allowed to use the computer to play an interactive game that assists with their English language learning. While this is great for the ELL's I do not know if this can be put under the category of Universal Design for Learning.

When I get my own classroom I do hope that I am able to effectively use UDL practices in my classroom. I hope to do this by incorporating technology that works and is accessible to all of my students. I want to be able to use the technology that can use with all types of students whether they are ELL, ESL, or EC students. The most important aspect of this will be to know each of my students different learning styles.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to hear someone else connected UDL with inclusion, differentiation and modifications. The only difference between UDL and the others is that UDL has a focus on the use of technology for all students. I am not sure if the game for the ELL students would be considered UDL, but either way that is a great idea. Using an interactive game to assist their English language learning provides them with an engaging active that allows them to see, hear and interact with English. While I am still unsure of the use of video games to teach most subjects, it is possible to see how they could be beneficial in learning English and language arts.

    Good post Liz, see you Thursday.

    ReplyDelete